Saturday, November 6, 2010

Introduction--What this blog is about

"We believe that the best of America is not all in Washington, D.C. ... We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation." --Sarah Palin, speaking at a fundraiser in Greensoboro, N.C., Oct. 16, 2008

This is my new project. I need an outlet for my frustration with the current political discourse. The title of this blog comes from a thread in one of the discussion forums on Ravelry that I participate in. You see, those of us in the discussion group were rather depressed after the recent midterm election--particularly whenever one of the newly elected GOP leaders said, "The American people have spoken!" Wait a minute! I'm one of the American people and I didn't say what you said I did! Actually over the last two years, I've learned that I'm not a "real" American at all. I'm most certain that my Mayflower passenger, Revolutionary War fighting ancestors are rolling in their graves knowing that they have begotten generations of descendants that are Fake Americans.

It seems that one must possess certain characteristics or follow a certain set of beliefs to qualify as a Real American--at least according to the Real Americans. So someone on Ravelry started a thread where everyone listed the things that made them a Fake American. I figure that the words "Fake American" are better than being "Un American!"

So on this blog I will explore those things that make some of us Fake Americans in the eyes of the Real Americans.

Some thoughts about comments: I am currently not moderating comments. Please feel free to share your thoughts in a civil manner. Do understand that I am sharing opinions and while I welcome opinions different than my own, I don't welcome rude or obscene comments that denigrate my opinions. Suggestions for future posts are always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment